Monday, January 31, 2011

George Mueller on Starting the Day

I have been blessed recently listening to the audio book Desiring God by John Piper. In his chapter on the importance of Scripture, he quoted George Mueller's practice of getting his heart happy in the Lord by diving into the Word each morning.
"I saw more clearly than ever, that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was, to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not, how much I might serve the Lord, how I might glorify the Lord; but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished...I saw, that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God and to meditation on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed; and that thus, whilst meditating, my heart might be brought into experimental, communion with the Lord."

1 comment:

  1. Great quote Andrew! Thank you for sharing. I was talking our elders last night about this very concept, glorifying the Lord opposed to serving Him.

    I have entered into some trails and this is very pertinent. "Meditating so that I might be brought into an experimental (good term) communion with the Lord."

    Much Grace

    ReplyDelete