Thursday, February 24, 2011

VBS & Youth Involvement - Seeking Your Counsel

Men,

An outreach opportunity for our church seems to be opening up in the tourist town of Red River, New Mexico. There is a community center there that allows for churches to do Vacation Bible Schools during summer time in the morning. One of our members made a contact there and we might have an opportunity to conduct a VBS as well as preach for a worship service on a Sunday.

Here's where I need your help. We need manpower to conduct a VBS obviously. Our youth ministry is young, physically and spiritually I would say. I think that some of our youth are believers but think some are not. What are your thoughts on youth involvement with this sort of thing? Do I open it up for all to come? Do I let those whom I am concerned about spiritually to serve in some sort of capacity? What do you think philosophically about unsaved youth (who probably think they are) helping out with a spiritual endeavor like this? I go back and forth.

I would love to hear your input.

For Christ,

Kyle

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand where you are coming from Kyle. Here are three quick thoughts:

    1) You may want to check with some of the parents. Start by asking them, "What is your take on Johnny's spiritual condition?" "Would you feel comfortable if Johnny was to serve at this VBS?"

    2) If they want to go, have them fill out a questionare that would draw out there motivation. Make them work for their spot. Make it an opportunity to counsel them.

    3) This is good training ground for James 2:17 - faith without works. Do they want to serve? Is this coming from a heart that desire to worship Christ?

    4) Have clearly defined parameters. e.g. No dating.

    5) If they profess. I think it is good for kids to work out their salvation.

    6) Plan a good debrief.

    ReplyDelete