Monday, June 18, 2012

The Gospel & Personal Evangelism


The Gospel & Personal Evangelism
Author: Mark Dever 
Read to Completion 6/11/12
William Costello

             By far the finest entry-level book on Evangelism I have read.  This book was enjoyable and edifying; the words sparked interest, inquiry and yet even joyful (and sometimes) painful personal inventory.  I laughed, I related, I had “exhale moments” of hilarity and a few “inhale moments” when I repented and nearly cried.  Mark Dever is a master communicator, he is warmly transparent, thoughtful and to the point without being unnecessarily sharp.  This is the best entry-level book on Evangelism.
            The thesis of the book is simple – evangelism is the mission of the church individually.  The responsibility emphasis is squarely on the shoulders of the individual, no Christian gets a “get out of Evangelism” free card. The message is instructive for individual Christians, reminding them rather graciously of who they are in this world.  This is a book about the role of light-bearers in a world darkened by sin, the responsibility of the children of light to the children of the world.  This is about the message of God to be proclaimed by the children of God to children of wrath (Eph 2:3), that they too might become children of God (Jn 1:12).  Finally, this is about the normal lifestyle of those enrolled in heaven but who are not quite there yet. This is a personal primer, a reminder of the mission to a very forgetful people.

Why We Don’t Evangelize

            We all have clever reasons and conscience-numbing rationales as to why our failure to share the gospel is well, not even an issue.  Mark Dever concedes, “But if you’re anything like me, you’re probably not quite so blunt about your failures in evangelism.  You’ve altered your mental records.  In fact, even at the time you’re not witnessing, you’re busy spinning, justifying, rationalizing, and explaining to your conscience why it was really wise and faithful and kind and obedient not to share the gospel with a particular person at that time and in that situation” (Dever, 19).  We are all experts at excusing ourselves from the mission, or am I the only one? 
            Excuses are a sham and a shame.  We must repent of them now while purposing in our hearts to accept God’s global mission for the nations personally. 
            Dever draws out our own self-love when he addresses our common resistance to evangelism because of how it will affect our own image.  He shows us how I love myself more than I love the lost!  How easy it is to love my image in the world more than God’s image in the world!  Dever recounts, “Maybe we are too polite to be faithful to God in this area.  Maybe we are more concerned about people’s response than God’s glory.  Maybe we are more concerned about their feelings than God’s … Good manners are no excuse for unfaithfulness to God, but we have, too often, used them so” (Dever, 25). 
            Evangelism means death to self.  We must repent of self-love and pray “more love to thee our great and merciful Savior!”
He cuts deeper with a word on our own love for self over and above love for others.  “We share the gospel because we love people.  And we don’t share the gospel because we don’t love people.  Instead, we wrongly fear them.  We don’t want to cause awkwardness.  We want their respect, and after all, we figure, if we try to share the gospel with them, we’ll look foolish!  And so we are quiet.  We protect our pride at the cost of their souls.  In the name of not wanting to look weird, we are content to be complicit in their being lost.  As one friend said, “I don’t want to be the stereotypical Christian on a plane” (Dever, 27).
Evangelism is a test of our love.  If only 2% of the visible church have ever shared their faith with someone else, we need to examine if we really do love God.  Spurgeon recounts how in his early days as a Christian, he showed His love for God by sharing the gospel.  He recounts his early days as a soul winner,
I used to write texts on little scraps of paper, and drop them anywhere, that some poor creatures might pick them up, and receive them as messages of mercy to their souls. I could scarcely content myself even for five minutes without trying to do something for Christ. If I walked along the street, I must have a few tracts with me; if I went into a railway carriage, I must drop a tract out of the window[!]; if I had a moment's leisure, I must be upon my knees or at my Bible; if I were in company, I must turn the subject of conversation to Christ, that I might serve my Master. It may be that, in the young dawn of my Christian life, I did imprudent things in order to serve the cause of Christ, but I Still say, give me back that time again, with all its imprudence and with all its hastiness, if I may but have the same love to my Master, the same overwhelming influence in my spirit, making me obey my Lord's commands because it was a pleasure to me to do anything to serve my God.” Love for the Savior springs our otherwise selfish persons to action.
He is famous for these probing words, “Have you no wish for others to be saved? Then you are not saved yourself, you can be sure of that.”

The Message: What is the Gospel?

            I will start by explaining what the gospel is not. I remember asking this question to a room full of teenagers while I was serving as their youth pastor.  I was amazed by the answers I heard, “The Word of God,” “the Bible,” “Jesus loves you” and many more.  I think one student was able to articulate the contents of the gospel while many of her friends in the room had been in church for years!  Sadly, this is not uncommon.  I think many seem to know the way to get to their favorite restaurant more accurately than they do the way to get to heaven.  How sad.
            The gospel is “the Word of God” so is Genesis 1:1. The gospel is more than “the word of God.”  The gospel is found in the Bible but the 66 canonical books are not the gospel either.  “Jesus loves you” is certainly a sweet component of the gospel (John 15:13) but not the whole by any stretch.  So what is the gospel?
            If I could reduce the gospel to 10 words it would be this, “The Lord Jesus Christ died for sinners and rose again.”  This is the message of 1 Cor 15:3, 4.  Here Paul lays out clearly the contents of the gospel, God’s saving work on behalf of the sinner through His Son Jesus.
            The gospel is good news, great news!  Dever’s paragraph explaining the gospel is pure gold.  He writes, “The good news is that the one and only God, who is holy, made us in his image to know him.  But we sinned and cut ourselves off from him.  In his great love, God became a man in Jesus, lived a perfect life, and died on the cross, thus fulfilling the law himself and taking on himself the punishment for the sins of all those who would ever turn and trust in him.  He rose again from the dead, showing that God accepted Christ’s sacrifice and that God’s wrath against us had been exhausted.  He now calls us to repent of our sins and to trust in Christ alone for our forgiveness.  If we repent of our sins and trust in Christ, we are born again into new life, an eternal life with God” (Dever, 43).

Conclusion:

            This book helps the church-planter to see the reality for gospel proclamation in every Christian’s life.  The hard “work of an evangelist” belongs to the sheep as well as the shepherd.  I will use this book to remind myself that:
·      Evangelism is the mission of the church
·      Evangelism is everyone’s mission, it is not to be farmed out to the “paid professional pastor”
·      Excuses not to evangelize are many but none hold water
·      Evangelizing is the communication of the gospel in verbal or written form, anything less is not evangelism
·      Salvation is the work of God (we simply sow the seed, while God alone makes it grow, and as we go we sow
·      The purest motivation for evangelism is love for God and love for neighbor.















            

No comments:

Post a Comment