Friday, June 10, 2011

Part of This Complete Breakfast


Do you remember the old breakfast cereal commercials where they would show a whole spread of food on the table? There would be a bowl of cereal, OJ, fruit, glass of milk, and a side of toast with butter. That sounds like a balanced meal. I never once ate that. This advertisement of the ideal “breakfast of champions” can be a good analogy of a healthy and “complete” diet of reading books.

Since TMS, I have not read as many books as I would like to be reading. As I have read some, I have been attempting to keep track of them, categorizing their type as I go. As I look at my diet of books however, I am noticing that I am filling myself up with a regiment of very good but popular level and devotional books as well as some biographies. They are all very good! The problem here is that I see a lack of deeper, richer, tough, red meat books in my diet in order to balance it out. In ministry I am also seeing that I need to grow in the area of theology. 

I came across this article called Spiritual Reading (you may remember I sent you a copy), that listed off a pastor’s plan for how he reads and how he alternates his reading topics (OT, NT, prayer, etc.). I want to do this!
Lord willing, this summer I will read theology books. As I scoured my bookshelf, I found a few that I would like to take the time to read. They are listed below.
I don’t own this but it was recommended to me-
What do you think? Do you have any recommendations for a helpful, strengthening, must read book on theology? 

Do you have any ideas for a healthy pattern of reading that you follow?

5 comments:

  1. Callaway,

    Great idea. I have a running list of books I am wanting to "dive into" once academic studies cease (at this rate it I see no end). But I created a list, of which I will send to you. This list is broken into the 12 months of the year. Every 6 months I will sharpen up on Hebrew and Greek Grammar. January is Pastoral Ministries. Etc.

    January- Pastoral Ministry/Counseling
    Feb- Doctrine of God/Bibliology
    Mar-Greek Grammar
    April-Christology/Pneumatology
    May-Readers Choice
    June-Preaching/Counseling
    July-Eschatology
    August-Evangelism/Missions/Apologetics
    Sept-Hebrew Grammar
    Oct-Soteriology/Justification/Glorification/Sanctification
    Nov-Readers Choice
    Dec NT/OT Studies

    I am currently reading a logic book aiding in my thinking, explanation, and systematizing of thoughts. Peter Kreeft-Socratic Logic.

    With regards to Herman Banvink. If you know nothing about him, he is Dutch Reformed Calvinist. Consequently his book will abide by the philosophical bent of Calvinistic leanings. I pursued his ideas on "Predestination" and the related topics. He is extremely logical and draws out logical implications of the doctrine. However, what is lacking is an appeal to biblical logic. As one brother from another, I'd say there are better books out there on the topic.

    Looking at your list of desired books, it seems you are desiring theology (namely systematic).
    Banvink's first book is on Prolegomena. The book to this date that has caused more deep thinking and rationalization with regards to the topic of Prolegomena is David Clarks, "To Know and To Love Him." This is a book I find myself reading the first time, stewing over numerous of the topics and then re-picking it back up to be refined on other topics

    Since one of the books you listed is a Monograph as one of the options. Still to this date, I have never read a theological book as well constructed as John Feinberg's "No One Like Him." I find myself agree with his presuppositions to constructing a Theological Method. He is thoroughly expositional in his approach. If you have not read this book, it is on my top 3 most influential books.

    I don't know any of the other three you mention. I've thumbed through McCune and found myself agreeing with a number of items I perused. However it was overly simplistic that did not stretch my thinking. My take on the book is it is a beginning systematic theology book introducing basic principles.

    Let me know your thoughts.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm chomping at the bit to read Alva McClain's "The Greatness of the Kingdom"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyle- Rolland McCune, author of the Systematic Theology mentioned above, was mentored by Alva J. McClain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawn-
    I love your organization of books and incorporation of Hebrew and Greek Grammars! Wow. I heard J Mac is bringing a few Hebrew Grammars on his summer hiatus. Your monthly breakdown is good and quite rigorous. I just don’t think I read that fast or that studiously. Oh well. Go get em!

    My uncle, who is a chaplain at the L.A. county hospital (Chuck McIlhenny) is a staunch Calvinist and devout OPC brother. He has recommended Bavinck to me for years. He isn’t simply trying to convert me but just wants me to read him. Someday I will! Thanks for the insight though.

    I remember forcing my way through Feinberg’s book for a summer Theo I course. It was so deep. Someday I hope to read it with much more comprehension!

    I am beginning McCune’s book now but honestly I am more enthralled with a few WWII history books I am in right now! There are excellent glimpses of Churchill and his leadership that make me want to pick up a bio on him.

    Nevertheless, I am grateful for McCune’s simplistic writing (as you note). This style makes his statements clear, concise, and easily palatable. I am most eager to read his chapter on the Dispensations (ch. 3). I managed to get through TMS without any understanding of the “dispensations” and their relation to progressive revelation. The Biblical Theology was highly recommended to me and I chose it to be a balance for McCune’s Systematic. I hope these books will help my general lack of theological acumen.

    Thank you for your recommendations. I will keep them on my “list.”

    Sharpening up,

    Pastor Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of being mentored by McClain...Robert Culver was either mentored by or sat under McClain. If you do not own Culver's theology you are missing out on awesomeness. It is witty, meaty, and written from a premill viewpoint which is nice.

    ReplyDelete